Български Русский English
​Portuguese court ruling puts bailout exit at risk
Friday, 20 December 2013 19:51
Published time: December 20, 2013 18:51
​Portuguese court ruling puts bailout exit at risk

Pensioners shout during an anti-austerity protest in Lisbon (Reuters / Hugo Correia)

A court in Portugal has rejected a plan to save an estimated 388 million euro next year through pension cuts. It could become a major stumbling block in the country’s planned exit from the international bailout in June.

13 judges unanimously considered "unconstitutional as this violates the principle of trust", the 10 percent cut in state pensions for anyone getting more than 600 euro a month, which would save the government 388 million euro.

The Portuguese parliament has already agreed to budget cuts of 4 billion euro, says Euronews.

The court is seen by economists as the major obstacle to narrowing the budget deficit, proving to creditors the sustainability, and escaping the bailout, as it has rejected a series of austerity measures.

After investors lost confidence in the country's ability to pay its debts, Portugal submitted to a €78 billion ($107 billion) bailout program with the European Union and International Monetary Fund in 2011, which will end next June.

The government commented that it had not prepared any alternatives to recouping the money deemed unconstitutional by the court.

Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho warned in advance that if the Constitutional Court decides the reduction of pensions illegal, the authorities will be compelled to increase taxes that will negatively affect the investment climate in the country.

The Troika of lenders consisting of the IMF, European Central Bank, and European Commission has just visited Portugal, and also warned that refusal of cut spending could lead to unemployment growth.

Ireland was the first country to work its way free of rescue loans by pulling out of the IMF/EU bailout program. The Troika checked on Ireland 12 times after it gave the country a bailout making sure it was keeping to the agreement.

Putin Says He Would Have Sued if Targeted by Western Sanctions

article thumbnail

ST. PETERSBURG, May 23 (RIA Novosti) – Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that he would have taken Western countries to court if he had been targeted by recent sanctions.“If I were in their shoes I would have sued a long time ago, because they have no relation to the events in Ukraine  [ ... ]


Upgraded Pantsir-S2 Gun-Missile System to Enter Service in 2015

article thumbnail

Russia15:21 11.04.2015(updated 15:28 11.04.2015) Get short URL2183261"We are receiving new systems, above all S-400 and Pantsir complexes… The upgraded Pantsir-S2 has just completed trials and will join the force already before this year is out,” Viktor Gumenny, Commander of Air Defense Troop [ ... ]


T-14 Armata: Russia's new six-zone tank shocks the West

article thumbnail

The appearance of Russia's state-of-the-art Armata tank at Victory Parade on May 9 in Moscow produced a bombshell effect. Indeed, the T-14 Armata has no analogue in the world. Moreover, Armata is the only tank to date that corresponds to the military principle of six zones. Why did the new tank get [ ... ]


source: http://rt.com/business/%E2%80%8Bportuguese-court-bailout-risk-562/

 

Advertisement